This super healthy dish is full of nutrients, is pretty simple to make and only uses one pot – result! We often have it for dinner with some naughty tiger bread and butter! Equally it makes a lovely lunch just on its own!
|Portions of fruit/veggies per portion:||3|
- 4 celery sticks
- 2 large onions
- 1 aubergine
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 tin of black eyed beans
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- a couple of sprigs of thyme (or some dried thyme)
- tbsp. paprika
- tbsp. sugar
- 200ml vegetable stock
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Olive oil
- Chop the aubergine into 1cm think slices and dry fry them in a large frying pan until brown on both sides:
(Alternatively you could griddle the aubergine – but that’s something else to clean!)
- Whilst the aubergine is cooking, finely chop the onion, celery and pepper.
- When the aubergine is cooked, remove from the pan and chop into cm square chunks and leave to one side.
- Add olive oil to the pan and allow to heat before adding the chopped onions, celery and pepper as well as crushing in the garlic clove and adding the bay leaf and thyme:
Let this cook gently for about 15-20 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Add the aubergine back into the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes:
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and stock then add the sugar and paprika and turn up the heat, bringing the mixture to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and black-eyed beans in a sieve before adding them to the pan:
Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, check the seasoning is right and add more if required.
- Voila! Serve on its own or with crusty bread for a yummy treat!
This dish will freeze and reheat well too, so is great for making as a batch!
Gina & Tom @ Parenting Creations
Enjoy our post? Please pin it – Sharing’s caring after all! Thanks! 🙂